Powered By Blogger

Saturday 3 December 2011

Finding sanctuary

Years ago I did a YOGA workshop with an Indian Yoga Master. He said he once visited a student in North America who invited him into his "yoga room".  This Teacher just smiled and said YOGA is practised in every room...


I agree - philosophically, as it conveys the essence of the practise of YOGA, which is union, and not just of me to my(body/mind)self, also me to my(spirit)self and me to the (Creator)Self.  Being connected to every breathing being is eye and mind opening.


Nonetheless, I also feel that it is important to have a soft space to land at the end of the day.  Finding your sacred space within when you feel like life is crowding you out with pressures and stress requires a refuge, a place that elicits the the relaxation response for you.


I prefer clean and uncluttered as a theme everywhere in my apartment.  For me, home is a sanctuary altogether.  I like to look around and see plants and Buddhas meditating so they catch my glance and bring me calm energy.  I also have a favourite spot where I do meditate, and pull out my yoga mat.  I created a distinct area for settling down with a good book.   I can relax enough to be creative at my desk, but seeing it, I am not put in the "zone"... in these other areas, I synchronise and harmonise and tranquilise.


Where is your area?  Do you get home and wish you had a little corner for yourself?  One student of mine has a little quiet area with a picture of loved ones and an orchid near a window with a view. For another, this sacred area is a garden in summer and a favourite chair near a favourite potted plant in winter.  Yet another person I know sets up her side of the bed with a table on which she keeps a personal touchstone (and IPAD charger!)


If you do not have a spot yet, and feel space is a luxury - you are right.  Nonetheless, sometimes space takes on a new energy when you add a just a touch of something peaceful (a seashell or candle?), something personal (a photo or souvenir of a wonderful experience?) and positive (a plant, flower, little figurine of a meditating Buddha?)...or just a chair with your favourite colour cushion, and a diary so you can write down your thoughts.


However you create this peaceful, personal and positive space, I hope it makes you feel like you have a stress-free, safe, special sanctuary.  It does help to have a ritual and a designated place to encourage your inner life to regroup, recharge, refresh and renew. Your health depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment